Author Topic: ESXi 6.0?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline JohnO

• Server Tech
    • View Profile
ESXi 6.0?
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
Such a shame this forum has gone nearly silent.

I just upgraded my home ESXi environment from 5.5 to 6.0 last weekend.  Everything seems fine, but after doing Windows updates to a Windows 7 VM, that VM now hangs just after I log in.  The keyboard and video seem dead.  I know the machine is running, as I can use WMI to get all sorts of stats from it.  I can reboot the machine in Safe Mode, and it operates fine from the VMware client console.

I'm wondering if updating VMware tools will help.  I wonder if I can run VMware Tools installation from Safe Mode?

If anyone is still out there, I'd love to hear suggestions.

Offline JohnO

• Server Tech
    • View Profile
Re: ESXi 6.0?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
I decided to create a new Windows 7 VM.  After 200! Windows updates, I installed VMware tools.  All was good until I re-configured passthrough for my graphics card.  I experienced the same problem in that the login was very slow, and eventually the user interface (both input and output) would freeze.

I guess something changed with the latest Windows patches that doesn't work with PCI passthrough for me in ESXi 6.0.

John

Offline emockler

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
I am using ESXi 6.0  build 2494585 and have passthrough working fine on Winxp, win7x64, Android ICS & KK, and OSX.
They keep removing nic's, so you need to ESX Customize your CD image with VIB's for the now unsupported nics.
And it needs 4GB ram just to install, less and will erroneously complain of no supported nic's.

But for passthrough everything is working.

What GPU are you using?

Do you set the memory hole? And lock the memory in the VM?

If you have an onboard GPU, disable it in BIOS, as well as halt states & the onboard hdaudio.  Use the audio on the GPU card or some USB audio.

Offline z3braman

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
Thanks for those tips on fine tuning. I am striving to improve windows performance when I access via VNC so anywhere I can shave resources is good.

Paul

Offline JohnO

• Server Tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
I found out that the pass-through issue was also impacting an unRAID NAS where I was passing through a RAID controller.  Strangely, I found that if I power cycled the ESXi host, the problems went away until I changed the controller software in the unRAID VM specific to the passed-through RAID controller.

I recently upgraded to 6.0U1.  Not sure if this will change the behavior or not.  At this stage, I'll use sure to power down the server if I'm changing code that looks to impact any of the passed through hardware.

To the specific comments above:  Yes, I've locked the memory in the GUI.  I have not manually configured the pci-hole parameters.  I certainly could be missing something (and have just been lucky for the previous 16 months).

Thanks all, for your input!

John

Offline JohnO

• Server Tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
Sadly, I still seem to be having the same problem.  If I power down the ESXi system and restart, things come up clean, and all but my Windows VM (with the passthrough video and USB) seem to stay working just fine.  After about 10 days, although I successfully upgraded to Windows 10, the Windows VM will lock up.  Sometimes I'll get a message that the video system had failed and restarted (within Windows 10). 

John