Author Topic: How to get audio in VM  (Read 7083 times)

Offline j15

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
How to get audio in VM
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
I've got a gigabyte ga990fxa-ud3 motherboard with a Radeon HD 6450 video card and a Rosewill RC-505 USB card running ESXi 5.5 U2. In the end, I would like to add another video and USB card to this server so I can run 2 VMs using the passthrough devices, but I wanted to set this up as a test case to make sure I can get everything working before ordering the other cards. I want to run XBMC on one VM and the other I'll use as my workstation to replace my current desktop.
For the XBMC VM, I installed Windows 7 Professional, installed the VMware tools, configured the ESXi server to passthrough the 2 cards I have, added them to the VM, then installed the drivers. I've got the video working just fine but the VM doesn't show any audio devices. Right now, I have it connected to an HDMI monitor, but I will eventually connect it to my TV and would like to have the audio going over the HDMI to the TV.

So, my question is, how do I get the audio to work?

Just to see how if Windows 8 would do any better/different, I created a new VM, installed Windows 8.1 with all the udpates, added the passthrough cards to this VM (after removing them from the Win7 VM), and installed the drivers. The results are the same. Video and USB work just fine, but Windows shows no Audio Playback devices.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline rab

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: How to get audio in VM
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
My experience with trying to pass thru the HDMI Audio on my MSI HD6450 has been hit and miss.  Most of the time it works on the initial VM creation and pass thru attempt, but then for no reason I'll sit down one day and see that Windows no longer sees any audio device connected.  I've had some success uninstalling the High Definition Audio Controller, then letting Windows "rediscover" it, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.  I had another case where it miraculously just came back on it's own one day after a reboot. 

After reading a comment by Don in another thread, I picked up the following about a month ago and it has been very stable. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wish I could keep the hdmi passthru working though as I specifically bought monitors with speakers so my kids could have sound without having to hook up separate speakers, but alas it's become quite a challenge.

I am running the following:
VM OS: Windows 8.1
Esxi Host: 5.5.0, 1623387
MB: Asrock Extreme z87

Offline j15

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
I would try uninstalling the High Definition Audio Controller from my VM, but it isn't there. Since I created the VM, I've never seen an audio device in it so I'm not sure if there is something else that I'm screwing up or if I'm just missing a step.

I really need the audio to come over the HDMI so I can use the VM for XBMC connected to my TV.

FYI, I'm running VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 2068190 and I've tried both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1 Professional for the VMs.

Offline j15

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
OK, little update. I bought a USB sound card and plugged it in. The good news is it shows up and Windows sees that I have an audio device. The bad news is, I still have no option of getting audio through the HDMI connection. Since I want to use this to run XBMC and connect via HDMI to my TV, it won't work for me unless I can get the audio going over the HDMI.

For anybody that is using the HD6450, when you configure your ESXi host to enable that card for passthrough, do you see it listed as 2 devices? I see it listed like this:
07:00.0 | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/AT] Radeon HD 6450
07:00.1 | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/AT] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]

However, when I go to add the devices to my VM, I get an error any time I try to add the 2nd device (the HDMI Audio device). The error shows up when I click OK to save the configuration of the VM.

The error is this: PCI passthrough device ID (0x-5568) is invalid.

I get that error if I add just the HDMI Audio device, if I add both at the same time or if I add the 1st one first, save the VM, then go back and add the 2nd one. No matter what I do, I end up with the error trying to add the HDMI Audio device. I'm guessing this has something to do with why I can't get HDMI audio in my VM, but I have no clue how to fix this.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Offline rab

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
For each video card I have plugged into the MB, I do also have two devices selected/enabled for passthrough on the DirectPath I/O Configuration under Advanced Host Settings

01:00.0 | Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6450]
01:00.1 | Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]

When selecting Edit to see what is available for passthrough, I have the following entry above these items

00:01.0 | Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller.  The checkmark in this box is gray, but the checkmark in the boxes below is solid black.

Some troubleshooting things that come to mind

1. Have you tried installing the video card in a different PCI-e slot on your motherboard and passing it through from there?
2. Do you have another video card you could try?
3. If you MB has onboard audio, did you disable it in the bios?
4. If you don't have any other PCI-e slots on your MB, perhaps you could try
-remove the pci video device from the VM
-power up the VM to ensure it boots with the new config
-remove the device from being eligible for passthru in the esxi host advanced config section
-reboot the esxi host
-after confirming the card is no longer eligible for passthrough, shutdown the host
-remove the video card
-power up the host and confirm the card is gone
-shutdown the host and re-install the card
-power up the host and go thru the passthrough process again

perhaps something happened within the esxi host setup when you began the process and doing the steps above will allow for a "clean" install

Offline landob

• Server Newbie
  • LAN Party Enthusiast | Amateur Sever Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »
I used to have hdmi issues from my video card a couple years ago. But after some driver updates those problems have since went away. You could always just passthrough USB and get a USB audio device if hdmi doesn't work.
ESXi 5.5 | GA-990FXA-UD3 ver 3.0 Bios-FB
AMD FX-8350 | 32GB 1333 DDR3 | Radeon 7950
LSI00244 (9201-16i) | 18TB JBOD | Norco RPC-4220

Offline Valletta

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:06:06 AM »
I used to have hdmi issues from my video card a couple years ago. But after some driver updates those problems have since went away. You could always just passthrough USB and get a USB audio device if hdmi doesn't work.

I thought HDMI would be better?