Author Topic: Upgrade HD's or Raid Controller?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline MetalGeek

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
Upgrade HD's or Raid Controller?
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
I'm not running ESXi as it doesn't fit my use case very well.  i do lots of crash/burn, break fix, and installation testing so I spin up a few VM's for short periods and then turn them off or I'm installing 2 or 3 at a time.  I use a mix of VMWare workstation and Virtualbox on my workstation with local storage.  My hardware consists of a Gigabyte Z87MX-DH3 Motherboard, Xeon E3-1245 CPU, 16GB of RAM, 128GB Samsung SSD for the OS and for VM storage I have a "FrankenRAID" setup that consists of two WD RE3 750GB drives and two Seagate 1TB ST31000524AS drives in a RAID10 running off the integrated Intel controller.  The system runs Windows 7 Pro x64.

I'd like to improve my Disc IO but funds are very tight so bang for the buck is a huge consideration.  Grabbing 1TB of SDD goodness isn't going to happen anytime soon.  I'm not sure what will yield the best speed improvements:  Going with 4 1 TB RE4 drives off ebay or moving to a hardware RAID, say the LSI MegaRAID 84016E or something similar. 

Other Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:54:32 PM by MetalGeek »

Offline TrevorcraF

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
The researchers found this out when they analyzed bladder tissue biopsied from postmenopausal women to check for expression of cathelicidin before and after the research volunteers took supplements of vitamin D (in the form of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3) for three months. When the bladder cells were infected with the UTI-causing germ E.
(NaturalNews) Most likely in response to a raft of negative press regarding high-sugar content products, as well as numerous reports detailing the nation's worsening obesity epidemic, food giants Nestle SA and General Mills, Inc. have announced they will cut both sugar and salt in the children's breakfast cereals they market jointly outside North America, Reuters reported.The cheap soccer jerseys companies have been Michael Kors diaper bags involved in their joint cereal venture since 1990, selling lululemon athletica Nestle-brand cereals like Cheerios in more than 140 countries outside the U.S.
It's a revelation which the UK's Daily Mail reported "appears to blow a hole in" any prior safety claims regarding GM foods. Responses to the study are serious and far-reaching, triggering some countries to place a ban on imports and some to call for further investigation.But what are the longer term implications of this particular brand of reckless and irresponsible technology? So michael kors handbags outlet long as there is continually self-replicating Bt toxin (the patented property of Monsanto) growing inside the human population and its unborn children, might those children not soon be under threat of similar patent infringement claims as are the next-generation crops grown from farmer Bowman's contaminated seed? According to the aforementioned court decision, is the GMO-contaminated child growing in the belly of a pregnant woman not also considered "a newly infringing article, At what point must ordinary American citizens begin to prepare themselves for lawsuits from Monsanto claiming ownership over their children - or even themselves?Perhaps the ideas seems a bit far-fetched, but in a nation whose legal and judicial systems so far persist in allowing, protecting and upholding patents on living organisms, this quite conceivably becomes the most controversial dialogue of a not-too-distant, and horrifying, future
News from:
http://www.visitkitsap.com/about/default_entis.asp

Offline Madisand

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade HD's or Raid Controller?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:25:04 AM »
I view it as the most likely to have thoughts of their own time.