Author Topic: any experience with 16g memory modules on the gigabyte mb of build #1  (Read 3413 times)

Offline wihe1

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
I am considering to use 2x 16gb memory modules in an esxi setup resembling build #1.

The Gigabyte MB used specs a 32 GB memory max. But the same is true for later MBs. Does anyone have any experience in using the larger memory modules

Offline [email protected]

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: any experience with 16g memory modules on the gigabyte mb of build #1
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I am considering to use 2x 16gb memory modules in an esxi setup resembling build #1.

The Gigabyte MB used specs a 32 GB memory max. But the same is true for later MBs. Does anyone have any experience in using the larger memory modules
Why not just use 4x 8GB since it'll probably be much cheaper? ESXi free version has a max of 32GB anyway, unless you go with Xen.

I was thinking of trying this:
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=4854362e18309132795b67d1c179baf7

I have a Synology at home, but I need more storage and figured I could leverage ESXi and a VM with XPEnology.  My other thinking is one of the other free options out there, like FreeNAS.  Is that what you were thinking?  I'm going to build myself something by the summer hopefully, but I will still leverage the Synology device as a backup, in case the ESXi box goes down.

Offline wihe1

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
I was not aware of the 32gb max for esxi.
First purpose is to use the esxi server for multiple vm's which share external memory

Offline vintagedon

• ESXi Home Lab Fanatic
  • Administrator
  • Server Admin
  • The Cloud is Where It's At!
    • View Profile
    • The Home Server Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Well, it's not for ESXi in general, it's the max memory for the free version PER NODE (per physical server).  When you first install it and use the trial, it is licensed as a Enterprise Plus, so during the trial, you'll be able to use more.  But as soon as that is over with, you're back to being capped at 32GB per node.

That said, I don't have any experience with the 16GB modules, but you always need to check the max memory supported for the board.  Some boards with 4 DIMM modules will say that its max memory is 64GB, showing that you can use the 16GB sticks.  As far as I know, that board is capped at 32GB.

However, I have been considering doing a mini-itx ESXi build and using 16GB RAM sticks to get 32GB in a mini-ITX form factor and using mini-ITX cases (very small, since they will be diskless) to see how much density I can cram into a 4U space in one of my racks.

I found a very thin mini-ITX desktop case that I can get 5 of them onto a 4U shelf.  If I used 1270v3 Xeons, that means I could have 40 cores (8 cores per node) and 160GB of RAM in that space.  Idle on these is around 30W so we're talking 150W idle for a pretty killer cluster.  Am working on a proof of concept for it now.
As Always,
VintageDon

Offline goofysecret

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »

Is posted with the account of undertakings Actually about the content material is very good here.

Offline toystoryful

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
Knowledge is great, as well as the ocean here. Knowledge is great too.

Offline Savannah

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 05:55:15 AM »
Experience on this website

Offline Jimmyez

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
There is good information that can be obtained 24 hours