Author Topic: IMPORTANT: DNS Problem for Forums  (Read 3499 times)

Offline vintagedon

• ESXi Home Lab Fanatic
  • Administrator
  • Server Admin
  • The Cloud is Where It's At!
    • View Profile
    • The Home Server Blog
IMPORTANT: DNS Problem for Forums
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
All Members:

This afternoon, while doing some standard work on the server, I noticed some discrepancies in the forum, and after a bit of investigation, I found that two of the root level name servers in the world had the wrong IP listed for the forums.  The correct IP is 192.227.181.199, but two of those world-level servers were returning 172.245.13.98.

It turned out to be a single bad DNS record in my own DNS cluster, which has now been fixed ... this will still take 4-24 hours to propagate out, however:

Code: [Select]
[email protected] [~]# dig forums.thehomeserverblog.com @ns1.gravityservers.com +short
[email protected] [~]# dig forums.thehomeserverblog.com @ns2.gravityservers.com +short
[email protected] [~]# dig forums.thehomeserverblog.com @ns3.gravityservers.com +short
[email protected] [~]# dig forums.thehomeserverblog.com @ns4.gravityservers.com +short

For all members, I would suggest pinging forums.thehomeserverblog.com and if you do not get 192.227.181.199, then altering your hosts file temporarily to point there.

To complicate things, there *IS* a working copy of the forums up at that IP.  I left it up from the last move, and have been using it as a staging and test site.  I would simply change my hosts file to point to that IP, do work and changes, push the changes to the main site, and then set my hosts file back.  It appears that several members, including me, have had their ISPs handing them the wrong IP address, and have been using the staging site unknowingly.  So we have some split posts.  I will be putting that site in maintenance mode shortly.

This would also explain the occasional odd complaint about a new account missing, notes missing, or a reply missing here and there.

This weekend, I will try to do a database merge to get everything synced from there to here.

I definitely apologize, and didn't expect for there to be a DNS error in the cluster.  Just a good example of how a single small issue can cause some weird errors that can actually go awhile without ever being discovered.

Thanks!
VintageDon
As Always,
VintageDon

Offline vintagedon

• ESXi Home Lab Fanatic
  • Administrator
  • Server Admin
  • The Cloud is Where It's At!
    • View Profile
    • The Home Server Blog
Re: IMPORTANT: DNS Problem for Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
As you can see, it's not but a couple of the top level nameservers, and funny enough, not even in the US, but it was still causing me issues:

This dig shows Google showing the wrong IP:

Code: [Select]
[email protected] [~]# dig forums.thehomeserverblog.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.23.rc1.el6_5.1 <<>> forums.thehomeserverblog.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49930
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;forums.thehomeserverblog.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
forums.thehomeserverblog.com. 14399 IN A 172.245.13.98

;; Query time: 75 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Apr 17 23:07:21 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 62
As Always,
VintageDon

Offline tprice5

• Server Tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Any relation to this ...?
http://www.renesys.com/2014/04/indonesia-hijacks-world/

I know DNS != BGP but given the vacinity of Pakistan and Thailand to the locations referenced in the article I thought there might be some correlation.

Did you you simply configure it incorrectly?  I've never dealt with an ISP from a business side but I would assume that they just issue you a static IP and you would hard code that into apache/IIS.  Not sure how there is room for error there.  Just trying to understand what went wrong.

Offline CharlesJal

• Server Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
Hey there, I've a query, could possibly need some aid from you.
I've been struggling with college a whole lot lately and was seeking to get a solution.
Located the internet site http://phuonggia.lighting/the-different-sorts-of-essays-that-from-the/http://amirkazemi.com/2017/09/05/the-categories-of-essays-which-you-could-pick-up/http://joellemartinec.com/the-kinds-of-essays-you-could-select-from-by-going/
But I'm not sure if it really is ok to work with it or not, looks kinda fishy.
What do you think?